Sailing Resume – Joseph LaRocca
Carlsbad, CA. 716-861-2332
Objective: Day Sailing San Diego or Oceanside or Racing in either.
General Sail Boating Experience
My recent sail boating experience during the last 10 years has consisted in both Sailboat ownership and as a racing crew member. I started out Sailing as a racing crew member on two very fast sailboats in Oceanside CA while sailing under Captain Dave G. on both of his sailboats in Oceanside CA. the 1st was a 39 foot Santa Ana for 2 years as I learned the jib and mainsail, then one more year on his new J-120 however, I realized if that sailboat were to win in that class, Dave would need better than me and I gave up my spot to others more qualified.
1. 3 years – Racing experience with the J 120 or similar
I bought a used Hunter 43 with some friends that I could learn from and sailed with then in San Diego for three more years. I fell in love with day sailing on the weekends and very much enjoy this type of sailing life. Never formally raced again, however I would like to do so if given the chance. My work transferred me to China and Taiwan were I day sailed as often as I could during the next 3 years.
2. 6 years – Day Cruising experience with the Hunter 43 or similar.
I bought a new hunter 41 DS on 2015 and have been day sailing it on the weekends with my wife and family in Naples FL.
3. 1 year – Day Cruising experience with the Hunter 41 DS
10 Years Total sailing experience: [3 Racing and 7 Day Cruising]
• 43 Hunter
• 41 Hunter
• 39 foot Santa Ana
Yearly sailing time on the water: Typically I sail 25 – 30 days per year
I currently own a new Hunter 41 DS that is in Naples FL. and use it on my weekend’s home.
Where do you live:
I work here in Carlsbad CA. as a Professional Quality Consultant for a Medical Device company here and commute home every 3 weeks to Naples FL or my wife comes here.
Sailing – Formal Instruction & Topics
Captains License Training: After I bought my new Hunter 41 DS have taken formal classes on my weekend’s home to gain my Captains license.
• I have hired a professional Captain to teach me and work with me hands on with my own sailboat even additional skills such as how to calmly back my sailboat into the dock with ease.
• This formal training has taught me much about hands on Seamanship, emergency procedures, Man Over Board retrieval, distress calls etc.
• We have covered cruising, navigation. I have gained much experience on topics such as trip planning, requiring navigation reading nautical charts, plotting, dead reckoning, using a GPS/chart plotter.
• He has taught me other seamanship skills such as escape routes, weather forecast interpretation, decision making, anchoring, mooring and/or docking under sail.
• We also practiced anchored in difficult weather conditions and bottoms using both single bow anchor, double bow anchors.
• I have not had experience yet with heavy weather sailing. I have only limited experience with sailing offshore.
That being said: I am familiar with the San Diego and Oceanside day sailing areas.